MARK D. SCHWARTZ, ESQUIRE
Post Office Box 330
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania 19010
Phone - 610 525 5534
Fax - 610 525 5534
E-Mail - MSchwa6814@AOL.COM
THE PRACTICE OF LAW
Mark D. Schwartz Esq.
300 Sandcastle Dr.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
JANUARY 1994 TO PRESENT
COMPLEX LITIGATION AND NEGOTIATION
Philosophy and Approach: My successful handling of many different types of matters, many of which had previously been handled, or mishandled by specialized departments of large firms, is a function of my exclusive attention to each matter, one case at a time, from start to successful conclusion.
- High Profile litigation
- Representation of Clients involving Matters of Media Interest
- Employment Discrimination & Whistleblowing Matters
- Representation of personal and charitable trusts
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate counsel and acquisitions
- Selected criminal case representation
- Shareholder Rights
- Estate litigation
- Entertainment law
- Special Education Matters
- Commercial Real Estate negotiation
- Multi-faced investment Banking Activities- angel financing,
1031real estate exchanges ($100 million approx. value), recovery refinancing, asset sales including
cable television, system sales, offshore acquisitions
Representative clients have included a prominent high net worth family requiring a range of services included above, an information technology company, a top tier college and its President, an owner of sports franchises, major literary figures, independent film makers, literary editors, literary agents and television producers.
Matters have been handled throughout the United States.
Cases and personal commentary are frequently carried in the national print and television media including my obtaining the award of a new trial after a 23 year- old murder conviction of the brother of a prominent author.
Recent cases include:
- Plaintiff Whistle-blower action against Home Depot, Inc. for firing an employee over protesting questionable "return to vendor" practices
- Representation of a taxpayer's group in Spokane
against a tax-exempt commercial real estate bond financing led
to an unprecedented declaration of taxability by the Internal Revenue Service
- Representation of the beneficiaries under the will of a world-renowned
violinist Isaac Stern against an Executor for misfeasance and malfeasance in squandering
that musician's Estate and musical legacy.
- Representation of an investment banker for wrongful discharge.
- Plaintiff representation against Kenneth Cole Productions, Inc for
racial and sexual discrimination, together with sexual harassment which has attracted other sexual harassment cases.
- Plaintiff whistleblower representation against a major pharmaceutical company
over the client's being fired for insisting that protocol be followed
in conjunction with the dissemination of pharmaceutical information.
- Representation in negotiations and litigation for a clothing manufacturer
involving the successful recognition of an oral licensing agreement for the exclusive multi-year worldwide supply of children's clothing to a multi-national clothing sales conglomerate
- Representation of a prominent author in the successful recovery of rights to 80 works.
Media coverage includes "Sixty Minutes", "TODAY", "Good Morning America", The Wall Street Journal, the New York Times. The New York Post, Reuters, Bloomberg. and The Bond Buyer
PRIOR PRACTICE OF LAW
AUGUST, 1981 TO JULY 1986
Mark D. Schwartz Esq.
- Concentration in Public Sector- constitutional law, administrative, regulatory, election, legislative and finance matters
- Personal Injury
- Corporate Torts
- Criminal Litigation- state and federal
SEPTEMBER 1979 TO AUGUST 1981
Ruffin, Hazlett, Snyder, Brown & Jack
- Tax-Exempt Bond Financing
- Clients Included- Allegheny Country: housing and hospital authorities, Pennsylvania Higher Education Facilities Authority, investment banking firms, corporate trust departments
PUBLIC FINANCE: INVESTMENT BANKING
Responsibilities included running a public finance department, supervising bankers, securing and structuring underwritings approximating $3 billion.
- Prudential-Bache Securities- Manager Mid-Atlantic Region
- Prescott Ball & Turben, Inc.
- A. Webster Dougherty & Co., Inc
Deals ranged in size from $2 million to $600 million.
Financial advisory work done for the State of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia.
Legislative Assistant to House Majority Leader ,
K. Leroy Irvis, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Responsibilities included Directorship of the House Rules Committee, speech writing, policy development, maintaining House bill consideration calendar, authorship of legislation, administrative agency oversight.
July, 1989- September, 1994
Commissioner- Pennsylvania Independent Regulatory Review Commission
Appointed and reappointed by two successive Speakers of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives to this body which is responsible for approval and oversight of all regulations issued by Commonwealth agencies.
Board Member- Philadelphia Crime Prevention Association, member Finance Committee.
Appointed by Philadelphia Mayor Edward Rendell to Mayor?s Transition Team and Mayor?s Private Sector Task Force.
Counsel to the Chair- Credentials Committee of the Democratic National Committee?s Presidential Convention.
Trustee, Allegheny County Community College- Assistant Secretary and Executive Committee Member.
Member, PA Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention Advisory Committee to the Governor?s Justice Commission
Appointed and reappointed by two successive Governors.
Board of Directors- Pittsburgh community radio station WYEP.
Adjunct Professor- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Business
Teaching experience at Executive MBA, MBA and undergraduate levels with an emphsis on business law and ethics, governmental and regulatory process.
In addition to media coverage of his cases already noted,, Mr. Schwartz has been frequently quoted and /or featured in pieces by major publications, which include the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Fortune Magazine, and The Bond Buyer. He has authored various Op-Ed pieces.
University of Pittsburgh - Juris Doctor
Swarthmore College - Bachelor of Arts with Honors
Honors: Nominated for Rhodes, Marshall and Fulbright fellowships
Activities: Swarthmore College Committee on Educational Policy
Shady Side Academy Preparatory School, graduated Cum Laude
Honors: Russian Language Award, Western Pa. Student United Nations Speaking Award, Certificate d?honneur-National French Contest, Exceptionally Able Youth Award, George Baton Sheetz History Prize, Aurelian Leadership and Scholarship Award (given by Yale University after a vote of the Shady Side Faculty and senior class), the Lowell Innes Leadership Award.
Activities: Student Government, drama, publications, music, soccer, squash, tennis.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- United States Congress
- Neighborhood Legal Services